Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies – Catechetical Ministry
Catechetical Ministry Concentration Overview
The MAPS Catechetical Ministry Concentration at Holy Apostles College and Seminary provides learners with the abilities and skills necessary to teach others about the Catholic Faith and to administer catechetical or religious education programs in parishes and Catholic schools. This concentration would be an excellent fit for those who wish to:
- Direct a religious education/faith formation program in a parish.
- Pursue a career in diocesan catechetical ministry.
- Coordinate a religion program in a Catholic school.
- Be more effective as a catechist or religion teacher.
The MAPS Catechetical Ministry concentration is available only online.
Holy Apostles College and Seminary requires M.A. in Pastoral Studies candidates to complete a 6-credit co-requisite sequence by taking PAS 602 Fundamentals of Practical Theology (Every Semester) as well as DTH 645 Nature and Grace (Spring). Following these co-requisite courses, an additional 12-credit Catechetical Minsitry Core is to be taken.
Core Courses for the Catechetical Ministry Concentration
- PAS 805 Trinity and the Incarnation (Fall, Summer)
- PAS 511 Mission and Evangelization (Spring, Summer)
- MTH 851 Contemporary Moral Issues (Spring, Summer)
- PAS 660 Thanatology (Fall, Summer)
Four courses must be taken within each area of concentration, and these are clearly marked within each concentration. The remaining two courses are electives and are preferably also within the concentration.
A candidate for the M.A. in Pastoral Studies is required to complete course work from the various areas of graduate study. The specific degree requirements for the Catechetical Ministry Concentration may be found in the Degree Plan below.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants for the M.A. program should follow the Graduate Admissions procedures.
Dr. J. Marianne Siegmund
Catechetical Ministry (White)
General Studies (Posner)
Marriage and Family (Siegmund)
Pastoral Counseling (Lockwood)
Spiritual Direction (Lockwood)
Youth and Young Adult Ministry (Tumeinski)
For a full listing of our faculty, please visit Faculty Listing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete an MA in Pastoral Studies?
- The M.A. degree program may be completed in as little as 2 years.There is a 6 year time limit from entry into the program through completion of the degree requirements. Please see the Academic Catalog for additional information.
Is the program flexible for working individuals?
- Our 100% online courses make the M.A. degree program flexible for working and busy individuals.
Are the faculty members faithful to the Magisterium?
- All members of the faculty must be approved by the bishop in order to ensure fidelity to the magisterium.
Visit our FAQ page for more information.