Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies – Youth & Young Adult Ministry
Youth & Young Adult Ministry Concentration Overview
The MAPS Youth & Young Adult Ministry Concentration provides learners with the ability to help teens and young adults apply their faith to the difficult emotional, spiritual, and relationship challenges that accompany the high school, college, and young adult years. This concentration would be an excellent fit for those learners who wish to:
- Pursue careers in diocesan and/or parish-based youth/young adult ministry.
- Pursue careers in campus ministry.
- Pursue careers in family life ministry.
- Be more effective in connecting teens and young adults with a meaningful experience of their Catholic faith.
Graduates will also be able to practice as Family Life Coaches and be eligible for advanced standing to become a Board Certified Coach through the Center for Credentialing and Education.
Holy Apostles College and Seminary requires M.A. in Pastoral Studies candidates to complete a 6-credit co-requisite sequence by taking DTH 645 Nature and Grace as well as PAS 602 Fundamentals of Practical Theology. Following these co-requisite courses, an additional 12-credit Pastoral Studies Core is to be taken.
- PAS 683 Pastoral Counseling 1: Spiritual Helping & Accompaniment
- PAS 511 Mission and Evangelization
- MTH/PAS/PHE 841 Catholic Social Teaching
- PAS 720 Nurturing the Domestic Church: Fostering Authentic Marriage and Family Life & Spirituality
Four courses must be taken within each area of concentration, and these are clearly marked within each concentration. The remaining two courses are electives and are preferably also within the concentration.
A candidate for the M.A. in Pastoral Studies is required to complete course work from the various areas of graduate study. The specific degree requirements for the Catechetical Ministry Concentration may be found in the Degree Plan below.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants for the M.A. program should follow the Graduate Admissions procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete an MA in Pastoral Studies?
- The M.A. degree program may be completed in as little as 2 years.There is a 6 year time limit from entry into the program through completion of the degree requirements. Please see the Academic Catalog for additional information.
Is the program flexible for working individuals?
- Our 100% online courses make the M.A. degree program flexible for working and busy individuals.
Are the faculty members faithful to the Magisterium?
- All members of the faculty must be approved by the bishop in order to ensure fidelity to the magisterium.
Visit our FAQ page for more information.