So invested is Dr. Mahfood in the use of distributed education technologies that he also serves as Provost of the Sacred Heart Institute for the Ongoing Formation of Clergy in Huntington, NY, and as Director of the Catholic Distance Learning Network, formerly of the National Catholic Educational Association in Arlington, VA, an organization he developed to assist theological faculty in the development of their skills designing and developing online teaching and learning environments.
His work in these areas of lay and priestly formation led him to found a Catholic publishing house called En Route Books and Media, which has produced over a hundred titles since 2014, and an online Catholic radio station called WCAT Radio, which currently hosts about five dozen shows per week.
Dr. Mahfood holds a doctorate in postcolonial literature and theory from Saint Louis University along with several master’s degrees in the fields of comparative literature, philosophy, theology, and educational technology. He lives in St. Louis with his wife, Dr. Stephanie Mahfood, and children, Alexander and Eva Ruth.
- Ph.D., St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO (2006)
- Master of Arts in Theology, Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, CT (2013)
- Master of Educational Technology, Webster University, St. Louis, MO (2012)
- Master of Arts in Philosophy, Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, CT (2009)
- Master of Arts in English Literature, University of Texas @ Arlington, Arlington, TX (1994)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and history, University of Texas @ Arlington, Arlington, TX (1992)
- Mahfood, S. and Henning, R. Missionary Priests in the Homeland: Our Call to Receive. St. Louis, MO: En Route Books and Media, 2019.
- Mahfood, S. The Narrative Spirituality of Dante’s Divine Comedy. St. Louis, MO: En Route Books and Media, 2018.
- Mahfood, S. and R. Chervin. Catholic Realism: a Framework for the Refutation of Atheism and the Evangelization of Atheists. St. Louis, MO: En Route Books and Media, 2015.
- Mahfood, S. “Cyber Chastity: The Moral Response to Interactive Pornography.” Social Justice Review Vol. 102, No. 9-10 (April 2012): 135-139.
- Mahfood, S., and P. Barbeau. “Emphasizing Relationality in Distance Learning: Looking toward Human and Spiritual Formation Online.” Seminary Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Spring, 2012): 44-51.
- Mahfood, S. “Sexual Ontology.” Social Justice Review, Vol. 101, No. 5-6 (September-October, 2010): 147-150.
- Mahfood, S. “Inculturating Islam.” Social Justice Review, Vol. 101, No. 1-2 (January-February, 2010): 6-9.
- Henning, R., and S. Mahfood. “Opening the Reception Process: Distance Learning and the International Priest.” Seminary Journal, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Fall, 2009): 62-68.
- Mahfood, S. Radical Eschatologies: Embracing the Eschaton in the Work of Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Nuruddin Farah, and Ayi Kwei Armah. Koln, Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Catholic Distance Learning Network – Founder and coordinator of a 60-school initiative for the National Catholic Educational Association’s Seminary Department. 2006 – 2015.
- The Institute for Theological Encounter with Science and Technology (ITEST) http://www.faithscience.org/ – Board of Directors (2008). Secretary of the Board (2009-2017). Treasurer of ITEST (2018-present)
- Association of Theological Schools Technology in Theological Education Group Steering Committee – founding member and chair from March 2008 to November 2012). Co-chair of Ethics Subcommittee (November 2012-2014).
- Parresia Project, an enculturation network for missionary priests and seminarians http://www.catholicculturemap.org (Associate Director – Summer 2009 – present)
- Seat of Wisdom: A Theological and Pastoral Journal hosted by Seminary of the Immaculate Conception. Advisory Board Member (Spring 2010 – fall 2012).
- Aquinas Institute of Theology. Member of Board of Trustees and of the Academic Advancement Committee of the BoT (Summer 2011 – present).
- Seminary Journal, http://www.seminaryjournal.com, a journal of the National Catholic Educational Association’s Seminary Department. Copy editor (August 2011 – November 2012). Assistant Editor (November 2012 – August 2013). Associate Editor (August 2013 – August 2014). General Editor (August 2014 – present).
- Lay Dominican of the Central Province of St. Albert the Great. Chapter Vice-Moderator (June 2010-May 2013). Provincial Council Delegate (June 2010-May 2013). Chapter Moderator (June 2013 – January 2019). Chapter Secretary (January 2019-present).
- Sacred Heart Institute http://www.cor-jesu.org Provost for Online Continuing Education Programs for the priests and deacons of the dioceses of New York (June 2013 – present)
- Faith Based Online Learning Directors (FOLD) http://www.distancelearningdirectors.org, a U.S., Canadian and Australian initiative devoted to the advancement of distance learning in theological education. Formation Chair (October 2013-April 2014); Senior Chair (April 2014-2015, 2016-present)