I received a doctorate in cognitive psychology from the University of New Hampshire. I did postdoctoral work in depth psychology, literature, and phenomenology. I have written books and articles on the interface of these areas. My teaching experience includes the University of Dallas which was formative in my interdisciplinary and great books approach to education. I also had a depth psychology practice for 25+ years. I am Professor of Humanities at Holy Apostles College and Seminary where I have been since 2006. I teach courses in literature and psychology to undergraduates and Human Formation to seminarians. I participated in the Fides et Ratio seminars for 4 years and I have lead these seminars at Holy Apostles since 2007. Oil painting provides imagistic ground and resource for my work.
- CT. Psychologist License since 1981
- Ph.D. Cognitive Psychology, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH (1977)
- BA Psychology, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA (1972)
Representative Publications and Workshops
- “Empty Nest” and Other Stories – being prepared for publication (2020)
- Orbits of Symphony (2015) – this is the theory that emerged from Dr. Arden’s previous eight books.
- Purcell Wrengt (2015) – a poetic-psychological novel where depth psychology meets Christianity resulting in a lyrical language exploring a healing of the soul.
- Unfolding (2015) – a Psychological-Theological Drama on the consequences of the lessening of the father’s authority in the 20th c. and the necessity of interfaith dialogue.
- Random as Lace (2015) – a book of poems
- “The Train” and “Jude’s Wife” (2015) – a long poem “The Train” on choosing how to navigate the narrow way; and a short story “Jude’s Wife” on the negotiation of Christian marriage.
- Respondent to Dr. Marilyn Charles, President Division 39 APA, on Psychoanalysis and Literature: The Stories We Live (2015), Online Colloquium. Sponsored by the Society for the Exploration of Psychoanalytic Psychology and Theology. October 16-18, 2015.
- Catholic Depth Psychology. Mater Ecclesiae College. March 8, 2012
- Group Facilitator of Seminarian Theological Reflection. Holy Apostles College and Seminary, 2011-2018
- Seminarian Human Formation and Social Justice. Social Justice Review, Vol. 101, No. 9-10, 2010
- The Fides et Ratio Seminars. The Bulletin of Catholic Higher Education. Vol. 1, Number 1, October 2008
- Clara and Marcus; The Articulate Silence of God – both Xlibris, 2002
- Lyrical-Analysis: The Unconscious Through Jane Eyre. Chiron, 1990
- Starving Women: A Psychology of Anorexia Nervosa. Spring, 1983
- American Psychological Association (since 1980); Division 39 (Psychoanalysis), Division 24 (Society for Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology
- Fellowship of Catholic Scholars
- Catholic Psychotherapy Association
- Society for Exploration of Psychoanalytic Therapies and Theology