Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies – Marriage & Family Studies
Marriage and Family Studies Concentration Overview
The MAPS Marriage and Family Studies Concentration provides learners with a strong understanding of both the role of the family in the life of the Church and society, and the responsibilities involved in living out the covenantal relationship between God, man, and woman. This concentration would be an excellent fit for those learners who wish to:
- Serve as both diocesan and parish-based marriage and family life ministers.
- Conduct effective marriage preparation and enrichment programs.
- Promote the relational and spiritual well-being of couples and families.
- Provide front-line pastoral support for couples and families in crisis.
Holy Apostles requires M.A. in Pastoral Studies candidates to complete a 6-credit co-requisite sequence by taking DTH 645 Nature and Grace as well as PAS 602 Fundamentals of Practical Theology. Following these co-requisite courses, an additional 12-credit Pastoral Studies Core is to be taken.
- PAS 683 Pastoral Counseling 1: Spiritual Helping & Accompaniment
- PAS 511 Mission and Evangelization
- MTH/PAS/PHE 841 Catholic Social Teaching
- PAS 720 Nurturing the Domestic Church: Fostering Authentic Marriage and Family Life & Spirituality
Four courses must be taken within each area of concentration, and these are clearly marked within each concentration. The remaining two courses are electives and are preferably also within the concentration.
A candidate for the M.A. in Pastoral Studies is required to complete course work from the various areas of graduate study. The specific degree requirements for the Catechetical Ministry Concentration may be found in the Degree Plan below.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants for the M.A. program should follow the Graduate Admissions procedures. Applicants must submit similar materials for M.A. programs, however MAPS applicants must submit three (3) letters of recommendation instead of the normal two (2): one from an Academic/Mentor; one from a Priest/Religious; and one from a Ministry Supervisor/Counselor. For additional questions or information, please contact Dr. Elizabeth Rex, Director of Graduate Admissions, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 860-632-3066.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete an MA in Pastoral Studies?
- The M.A. degree program may be completed in as little as 1.3 years.There is a 6 year time limit from entry into the program through completion of the degree requirements. Please see the Academic Catalog for additional information.
Is the program flexible for working individuals?
- Our 100% online courses make the M.A. degree program flexible for working and busy individuals.
Are Holy Apostles Faculty faithful to the Magisterium?
- All members of the faculty must be approved by the bishop in order to ensure fidelity to the magisterium.
Visit our FAQ page for more information.